Re: Re: $RecursionLimit Bug?

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Daniel Lichtblau wrote:

> W. Craig Carter wrote:
>> $RecursionLimit = $IterationLimit = 10^6
>> Is this a bug?  I couldn't find a list of known bugs on the
>> mathematica site....
>>
> somewhere between 3*10^4 and 4*10^4 I get a segmentation fault running
> the Mathematica kernel under Linux.

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

I realized what was happening later, but was surprised it did not
throw an exception that Mathematica would catch.  I am fairly new to
Macos (from more traditional unix/linux os's) so I don't know how to
start up the frontend from a shell----I don't know where the
segfault is reported...

However, I do see that looking for exceptions for every function
evaluation in order to keep track of memory would be too much
overhead.  Perhaps, a restarted kernel could report itself to
the messages window?

At any rate, the documentation on $RecursionLimit recommends:
Block[{$RecursionLimit = Infinity}, SumOfIntegers[1000]]
Perhaps this might be amended with an advisory?

For example, suppose one turns off display the In[] and Out[], an
unsuspecting user may not even know that their kernel died and
restarted.

Thanks again, WCC