Moving average / smoothing data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64063] Moving average / smoothing data
  • From: "Lea Rebanks" <lrebanks at netvigator.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:10:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

Given the following function & subsequent plot.

tt={1.5*Sin[x]+0.5*Sin[20*x],1.5*Sin[x]};
pp=Plot[Evaluate[tt],{x,0,20}];

I am trying to get the best smoothing / moving average function closest
to the underlying 1.5*sin[x]

Has anyone got any suggestions? Please show coding in reply so I can
plot & see result.

I have similar noise on exponential data, so hopefully
the moving average you recommend will work on that too.

Many thanks for your attention.

Lea Rebanks...

PS  I am using version 5.1