RE: Re: Re: Limit of an expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67683] RE: [mg67608] Re: [mg67557] Re: Limit of an expression?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 01:58:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej,

I'm running on Windows98 with Microsoft Outlook 2000 Version 9.0.0.2711. I cannot afford to update soon.

My email is set to Unicode UTF-8 encoding for both sending and receiving.

I cannot read or use much of the code you paste into postings.

As for me, I have a palette on my desktop that will copy and convert Mathematica code to InputForm, which I then paste into my postings. I'm under the impression that everybody can read them and copy and paste them into notebooks.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Andrzej Kozlowski [mailto:akoz at mimuw.edu.pl]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

On 3 Jul 2006, at 06:32, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> If you past into mail program a Greek letter form Mathematica or
> the sign â?¤  the entire message will be posted as Unicode. These
> messages when they return to me sometimes appear illegible (because
> of the way the mail server is set up) but one mouse move to the
> TextEncoding menu makes them legible. I do not think it is to much
> to exact that Mathgroup users should learn to use their e-mail
> programs.

I think I had better explain it more carefully. The MathGroup server
is, in fact, set up correctly; sorry for claiming otherwise. For
example, the message I posted containing the text below:

(Limit[(1 - E^((-
µ)*t*(s - 1 - λ/µ)))/
       (s - 1 - λ/µ),
      t -> Infinity,
      Assumptions ->
       {µ > 0 && #1[s,
          1 + λ/µ]}] & ) /@
    {Greater, Equal, Less}

{-(µ/(λ - s*µ + µ)),
    0, Infinity}

was copied (as InputForm) from a Mathematica notebook and posted with
Apple's Mail. Because of the presence of Greek characters it was sent
automatically (I did not even think about it) as Unicode. When I
received it back from the MathGroup mail server it was perfectly
legible, since Mail recognized it as Unicode automatically (that
means the server did not insert any false encoding information as
some baldy set up mail servers are want to do).  However, when I
received a message from David, containing a quote from my original
message, the above text was not legible, since the header of David's
message contained the information

which prevents the text being automatically recognized as Unicode by
Mail. However, in such a case selecting the message and performing a
simple move with the pointer to the item Text Encoding in Mail's
Message menu and choosing Unicode (UTF-8) makes everything appear
legible again. After that it can be pasted into Mathematica without
any further problems.
Here I am tempted to add a personal observation.  From my past
experience on several mailing lists I have noticed that people who
complain about similar problems are almost always Windows users. I am
not saying that Windows mail programs are inferior to Mac ones, in
fact I am quite sure that they can do all the same things and perhaps
even more. However,  it seems to me that it would be almost
impossible  for an Apple Mail user to fail to notice the Text
Encoding menu and at least to wonder what it might be for. I suspect
that users of Microsoft programs are so accustomed to having a large
number of menus and buttons and so on whose purpose they do not
understand they never even ask such questions.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Tokyo, Japan