Re: Limit of an expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67709] Re: Limit of an expression?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 04:18:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 7/4/06 at 1:58 AM, akoz at mimuw.edu.pl (Andrzej Kozlowski) wrote:

>I don't agree with most things in your response but I also do wish
>to spend any more time on this discussion so I will respond to just
>one point and make one additional one.

>>>Thus I never normally experience any problem with messages that I
>>>posted myself and which contain Unicode text.

>>It would be a very sorry state of affairs for any client if it
>>could not display messages it sent correctly.

>According to you a client cannot recognize the encoding information
>when it has been stripped from the headers.

No, this isn't what I've said. I've said *my* client does not automatically display messages properly when the encoding information has been stripped from the headers. I can set my client to default to UTF-8 encoding in such cases. But since not all messages with the encoding information stripped from the headers are encoded as UTF-8, this merely changes which messages will be displayed incorrectly. That is, changing the default setting of my client really solves nothing. Particularly since MathGroup is not the only list I subscribe to.

>How come then Mail can do so? In fact, it recognizes correctly Unicode
>no only in the messages that I posted but in all messages except those
>that actually contain wrong encoding information.

>So as far as I am concerned the mathGroup settings are perfect and
>yours have the effect of passing to me your own encoding problems.

My perspective differs.

In essence, you've concluded because your client (Apple Mail) renders your postings (as well as some others) to MathGroup correctly that MathGroup is set up properly. And those clients that do not do the same are either set up improperly or inferior to Apple Mail.

The fact a given mail client works as intended with MathGroup isn't sufficient to show MathGroup is set up properly or that other clients that are having problems are set up improperly or somehow inferior to your mail client.