Re: Why Does Repeated Dot Product Take So Long?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67952] Re: Why Does Repeated Dot Product Take So Long?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 05:50:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 7/17/06 at 6:51 AM, gregory.lypny at videotron.ca (Gregory Lypny)
wrote:

>x and y are both 2000 x 3 matrices.  I wanted to created a 2000 x 1
>vector with each element equal to the dot product of the
>corresponding rows of x and y.  So I tried this:

>Table[x[[i]].y[[i]], {i, 1, 2000}]

>It took more than two and a half minutes on my iBook G4.  Is that
>normal?  I've done seemingly more demanding computations in Do loops
>and Tables that are completed in a split second.  Am I doing
>something wrong with this one?

Hmmm...

On my AlBook, I did the following

In[12]:=
x=Table[Random[],{2000},{3}];
y=Table[Random[],{2000},{3}];

In[14]:=
Table[y[[i]].x[[i]],{i,2000}];//Timing

Out[14]=
{0.003761 Second,Null}

which clearly doesn't show a problem. Perhaps your matrices consist of something other than just machine precision numbers?