calling mathematica functions from a c++ program

I have just started using mathematica, and I would like to call some of
its simple functions from a c++ program, but no matter what i try, it
doesn't seem to work. Can anyone tell me what to do, and maybe give me
a simple example of a working program that successfully uses
mathematica?