Re: Installing AddOn

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66915] Re: Installing AddOn
  • From: john2 <john at 8889.fsnet.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 03:26:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jean-Marc Gulliet wrote:
> john2 wrote:
>
>>I'm pretty much a novice in Mathematica but have ventured into it
>>because I want to use a Stable Statistics Package from
>>http://www.npgcable.com/~rrimmer/StableCalculation/HTMLLinks/index_4.html
>>in 5.1.
>>
>>I unzipped and installed the AddOn SMath in c:/Wolfram
>>Research/Mathematica/5.1/AddOns/Applications/ as instructed.  It should
>>load with the command
>><<StableDistribution`SMath`
>>
>>but the file is not recognized by Mathematica which returns
>>Get::noopen : Cannot open Stable distribution`SMath`
>>
>>I checked with $Path and the file SMath.m is in a directory on the path.
>>  So what is the next step.  Not even sure if the file is correct as it
>>seems to be in binary, i.e. the first lines read in Notepad are
>>(*!1N!*)mcm
>>j<mi2X^Ue>E2FtTGjEmi2X^Ue>E2FtTGjEmi2X^Ue>E2FtTGjEmi2X^Ue>E2FtTGjEmi2X
>>^Ue>E2FtTGjEX4*4+5]HauE~i-SJ/_kQNyL<(=NQi"dYNZ'Skk425[0X&lF93l'"9_jYJ5
>>BEX2=mcUTP6@oXt~$/27,yoERZ\Q'iG~ V[P]sD[MV18XdLd6`?e(YGbd}9IE<Vf^0"b&-
>>l1Vh?'>"<<RZn[aq9h'{9_RApd;esXWUHHN3@DD@i?Ij"y_}d:.1dHG
>>
>>which looks like pure binary to me.  Perhaps this is compiled code.
>>
>>thanks in advance
>>

>>john
>>

> Hi John,
>
> Yes, you are right thinking that the file is encrypted. However, the
> problem you faced might not come from that: I have just downloaded and
> installed successfully the package after I had created a directory
> called StableDistribution.
>
> First, in Mathematica, evaluate $UserAddOnsDirectory. On my system the
> evaluation returns:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Jean-Marc\Application Data\Mathematica
>
> In windows, create a directory called StableDistribution within the
> Applications directory.
>
> Then, unzip the contents of the file StableDistribution.zip in the newly
> created directory.
>
> Now, go back to Mathematica. In the menu, select Help -> Rebuild Help
> Index, then open the help browser, select the tab Add-ons and Links, and
> you should find the documentation of the package under the title
> StableDistribution.
>
> To use the package, evaluate Needs["StableDistribution`SMath`"] then
> SVersion and you should see something like
>
> SMath Version {2005, 3, 6}
> for Mathematica 5.0 and higher
> Copyright ©2002-2005
>
> You are all set!
>
> HTH,
> Jean-Marc

Many thanks for all the ideas from various people.   I got the package
working at last by moving SMath.m about to various subdirectories,  but
am still not sure exactly what I did right.   It now seems to load OK
using the original configuration that didn't work once.

There may have been a spurious invisible control character in the file
name or something along those lines.

john2