Re: Division by Zero (Error Handling)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg66975] Re: Division by Zero (Error Handling)
  • From: "Jeremy Watts" <jwatts1970 at>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 06:26:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"Bruce Colletti" <vze269bv at> wrote in message
news:e60nu2$g4p$1 at
> When dividing (elementwise) two matrices of similar dimension (e.g., A/B),
zero-elements in B cause a "division by zero" error message.  In such a
case, regardless of numerator, I want the pair's ratio to be zero.
> Without building a module that defines modified matrix division, how can I
establish that whenever (throughout the notebook) division by zero occurs
(regardless of numerator), that the result can be zero?

assumedly with a simple 'if...then..else' statement, or am i missing