Problems with the front end

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67232] Problems with the front end
  • From: Hans-Peter Kunzle <hpk at shaw.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 01:07:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have been using Mathematica for over ten years,
but from time to time I keep running into strange
problems with the front end which happen perhaps
because I may have pressed a wrong key combination
by mistake. (I am using Mathematica 5.2 on a system
with SUSE Linux 10.1.)

This time the problem is that when I try to execute
a function in an Input cell then all
Input cells in the notebook light up at once and I
get an error message instead of the function executing.
(Similarly when I click on the border of an output
cell all other output cells light up.)

So far I have been unable to locate an Option in the
FrontEnd preferences that seems to refer to such a
behavior. I have also removed the ~/.Mathematica directory
losing my StyleSheets but the problem persists.
(I also Quit[] Mathematica and even rebooted the computer
without solving the problem.)

Right now, the only way I can run my programs is
to abandon the frontend altogether. But this is most
inconvenient.

Can anybody help?

Hans