Re: linux front end tutorial

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67297] Re: linux front end tutorial
  • From: Pavel Pokorny <Pavel.Pokorny at vscht.RemoveMe.MeToo.cz>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:27:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

jimG <jimgraber at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just loaded Mathematica 5.2 on Linux (SUSE10.1 if it matters) after
> more than ten years of using Mathematica on Windows and the Mac. The
> front end works differently, i.e. shift-enter does not execute. Is
> there a tutorial or an explanation of how the front end works on linux
> I could read? TIA

In Linux Mathematica can be called either in text mode
by the command mathematica
where Enter alone executes,
or it can be called to run in graphics mode by
the command Mathematica, where Shift+Enter executes.

I have a related question:
in text mode, I would like to be able to copy one
of my previous inputs and to edit it
similarly like most Unix shells can do, by Up arrow
or Esc and j and k (like in vi).
Is this possible to do in Linux version of Mathematica?

Thanks for any help

--
Pavel Pokorny
Math Dept, Prague Institute of Chemical Technology