Re: Listing ALL Options for a mathematica Function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67445] Re: Listing ALL Options for a mathematica Function
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at dordos.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 03:19:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

MR schrieb:
> Hello everyone
>
> I was wondering what is the methods which I can employ to obtain an
> ENTIRE listing of all the Options for a mathematica function.
>
> For example, the function MovieContourPlot in Graphics`Animation has as
> an option ColorFunction.  However,
>
> Options[MovieContourPlot] doesn't return that value, and neither does
> Options[Animation]
>
> of which MovieContourPlot is a function
>
> Thanks
> mr

Sorry mr,

I don't know how to get the options in this case.

MovieContourPlot seems to be "quick and dirty" code:

?MovieContourPlot
--> "MovieContourPlot[f[x,y,t], {x,x0,x1}, {y,y0,y1}, {t,t0,t1}, options...] will animate x,y-contour-plots \
of the given function by varying t."

but with a /function/ as parameter it wil not do what it should.

MovieContourPlot[Sin[#3 + Sqrt[#1^2 + #2^2]]&, {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}, {t, 0, 2*Pi}]

will fail but an /expression/ will do it:

MovieContourPlot[Sin[#3 + Sqrt[#1^2 + #2^2]]&[x, y, t], {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}, {t, 0, 2*Pi}]

so i guess the impossibility to get any option for this function is due to sleazy programming.
(I did not have a look at the code, but surely a SetOptions[MovieContourPlot,...] is missing)

Peter