Re: Fourier Transforms

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64789] Re: [mg64762] Fourier Transforms
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:28:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Mar 2, 2006, at 6:48 AM, Ben C wrote:

> On the first of March I posted an appeal for help with some Fourier
> transforms. Since then a couple of people have suggested I post the
> actual transforms. I am trying to inverse Fourier transform the
> functions
> p / (sqrt(1+p^2 + sqrt(1+p^2 ))   and   1/(sqrt(1+p^2 - sqrt(1+p^2 ))
> from p to x space.
> Any advice would again be extremely gratefully received,

You need to convert your expressions to proper Mathematica syntax,
sqrt(x) is Sqrt[x] in Mathematica.  Since you're looking for a
symbolic solution use InverseFourierTransform like so:

InverseFourierTransform[1/Sqrt[1+p^2-Sqrt[1+p^2]], p, x]

The second expression returns itself because the integral cannot be
performed.  Perhaps your expression is only valid for p > 0?  You
also need to specify the convention for the Fourier transform you are
using, see the Help Browser for more information.