Re: Re: Fourier Transforms

On Mar 3, 2006, at 9:23 AM, bsyehuda at gmail.com wrote:

> I really cannot figure out how you got the 0 expression
> both are unevaluated.

I pasted the results from running this on Mathematica v5.0 on Max OS
X 10.4.5.  I did not do any analysis of the expressions.

> To Ben C.
> I see that these are odd functions, pointing the the functions in
> the x domain are not real. are you aware of that fact?

Only the first expression is odd, the second is even.

> In addition, if this is the spectrum of some function, it should
> include infinite energy, pointing on its behaviour (the spectrum is
> not band-limited) (dirac delta, or some infinite value near the
> origin)

You are correct that the Inverse Fourier Transform of the first
expression should have some energy, perhaps this is a bug in version 5?

> Some coarse approximation:
> both function have a general form of a sign function

The second  expression actually looks like a Gaussian or Lorentzian.
I would expect its spectrum to look like some kind of decaying sinusoid.

Regards,

Ssezi