Re: Re: Possible Bug in ArcTan ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64820] Re: [mg64793] Re: [mg64770] Possible Bug in ArcTan ?
  • From: "Dr Andy D Kucar PEng" <andy at radio4u.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:35:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Subject: [mg64820] ArcTan[x,y], i.e., phase plot

Some time ago, I reported similar problem,
while calculating and plotting the phase of some functions
involving Jacobi and Weierstrass elliptic functions

I "observed" some strange chaotic noisy behavior near zero/ small values of phase
David Park helped me with some graphic aspects, thanks.

As yet, I have not fully solved the problem,
I circumvented it
However, the problem has not been with Mathematica algorithms, per se
It appears, "my" graphics coprocessor does some short cuts, i.e., approximations,
And this strange behavior might be OS state related
Or, perhaps more precisely, graphics+CPU approximations ...
Similar graphics related problems were reported somewhere else, outside Mathematica environment

Sincerely Andy