Re: Outputs of the Limit function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg65006] Re: Outputs of the Limit function
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 05:15:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <durl1u$lvf$1 at>,
 "Ben C" <benjamin.chamberlain at> wrote:

> When using the Limit function I got an output, BesselI(1,0)[5/2,s] ,
> where the bracket (1,0) was a superscript. Please, can anyone tell me
> the significance of the superscript bracket.

It means the partial derivative of BesselI[nu,s] with respect to nu,
evaluated at nu = 5/2. That is

  Derivative[1, 0][BesselI][5/2, s]

If you enter

 D[f[x,y],x] /. x -> 5/2

you will get a similar expression. Note that Mathematica can numerically
evaluate such expressions for numerical s. For example, enter

  Derivative[1, 0][BesselI][5/2, 0.1]

See also

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)