Bugs--Excessive Mathematica CPU usage on Sun running Solaris 10.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg65007] Bugs--Excessive Mathematica CPU usage on Sun running Solaris 10.
  • From: david.kirkby at
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 05:15:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

There is at least two of us who have noticed Mathematica (tested 5.1 and 5.2) using excessive CPU time on Solaris 10. If the GUI interface is used, then attempting

In[1]:= 1+1

quickly returns the result 2, but the Kernel consumes loads of CPU time *after* computing the result.

This only happens with the GUI. There was some discussion of this in the Solaris  newsgroup.

Can anyone else verify this? The two machines that has been seen on are quite similar. One is a Sun Ultra 60, the other a Sun Ultra 80. These particular Suns are very similar to each other - one is basically a quad processor version of the other.

Link to the forum page for this post:
Posted through [[postId=8905]]