ScatterPlot3D with One More Dimension?

Folks, I'm wondering if it's possible to add a dimension to a ScatterPlot3D in the form of color?  I have a Perl script that generates a list of {x,y,z} for a SP3D from a molecular dynamics trajectory, and it does work, but the plot is just mono.

Rather, I'd like to change the color of certain points depending on the state the trajectory is on at that time.  That is, a sort of RGBColor[1,0,0] for some points, then back to [0,0,0] for others, &c.

Is this possible, or should I start exploring IDL, et al?