Re: Combined Graphics3D with Separate PlotRange?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65225] Re: [mg65208] Combined Graphics3D with Separate PlotRange?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 03:19:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

JT,

It isn't clear exactly what you are trying to do here. In any case I think
this is an example where the regular Mathematica graphics paradigm confuses
people.

A plot can have only a single PlotRange. When you use Show to combine two
plots it is not immediately clear where Mathematica picks up the actual
PlotRange used. (From the first plot or from the second plot or from some
combination?) So one thing you could do is put the PlotRange option directly
in the Show statement. (You could also try the Graphics`Graphics`
DisplayTogether command.)

But using PlotRange to control the extent of a plotted surface is a poor
method. How are you plotting your surfaces? Are you using ParametricPlot3D?
Then you can control the boundary of the surface by specifing the iterator
domains in the Plot statement.

Naturally I'm partial to the DrawGraphics package where I can naturally
combine many different surface pieces together in a single plot statement,
fit different shapes smoothly together, and generally exert much better
control over the plotting of surfaces by using IteratorSubstitution to
implement variable domain iterators, MakePolyGrid and TrimPolygons to trim
surfaces to shapes, and DrawingTransform3D to transform surfaces.

If you gave me more specific information on the surfaces you are plotting,
perhaps with basic definitions in a notebook, I could try a plot for you.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Jung-Tsung Shen [mailto:jushen at gmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I have two figures that I would like to show in the same combined figure.
However, one of them I only want to show portion of them. Is it possible? I
tried using the option "PlotRange", but the "Show" command still showed the
whole range when combined. That is,

fig1Plot=Show[fig1, PlotRange-> {small range}];
fig2Plot=Show[fig2, PlotRange->{bigger range};

but

Show[fig1, fig2]

still plots the whole range of the figures. I think it's because in the
"Show" command, the "PlotRange" options only change the size of the bounding
box to shadow out those unwanted regions of the figures, but didn't really
cut it off.

I would appreciate if someone could give me some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

JT