Re: Writing prime factor decomposision in conventional form

On 26 Mar 2006, at 12:44, Dr. Wolfgang Hintze wrote:

> How can I get a conventional form output for the prime number
> decomposition, e.g. {{2,3},{5,1}} as 2^3 5 ?
>
> I have found some (rather cumbersome) method but it leaves the final
> expression in "" when I put it into input format in order to
> transfer it
> in simple text form to another application.
>
> I'm sure that there is a simple way to achieve the goal.
>
> Any idea is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Wolfgang

Try this:

PrimeDecomposition[n_] := (Times @@ (
   InputForm[Power[##]] & @@@ (Map[TraditionalForm, FactorInteger[n],
{2}])))

Now

PrimeDecomposition[40]

2^3 5^1

and so on. I am sure one can force first powers to be rendered as in
your post but I don't think it is worth the effort ;-)

Andrzej Kozlowski