Re: About subscripts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65342] Re: [mg65316] About subscripts
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 06:56:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I don't think it has anything to do with the SubscriptSymbols package.

E and I are reserved symbols in Mathematica. They have numeric values and
stand for the exponential constant and the imaginary unit. The symbols that
display in StandardForm are actually \[ExponentialE] and \[ImaginaryI].
Therefore you really shouldn't be using them as subscripted symbols because
it doesn't make sense to subscript a numeric value.

I would recommend using different symbols, perhaps from the
CompleteCharacters palette.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: mibelair at hotmail.com [mailto:mibelair at hotmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi all,
I use mathematica 5.2 for students. Normally, I charge the package
Utilities`SubscriptSymbols` and runs very well. But, when I operate
with symbols E or I (both with subscripts) Mathematica yields "e" or
"i" with subscripts. I think is more elegante to obtain "E" or "I" with
subscripts, because "E" or "I" without subscripts are constants and "E"
or "I" with subscripts are symbols.

How can I to convert "e" or "i" with subscripts to "E" or "I" with
subscripts.

Thanks