Do Mathematica applications EVER get updated?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg66167] Do Mathematica applications EVER get updated?
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 02:43:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Is it worth buying more Mathematica applications?

I am asking, because it seems these applications are hardly ever being

Look at the structural mechanics application

It is still version 1, and the copyright shows it was published in 1999.
This is 7 years ago !! This is like a million years ago in computer software

The control systems application

Still at version 2.2 since January 2003. This is 4 years ago without any
single update.

The Signals and Systems application

Still at version 1.2.1 from 1995 (this is 11 years ago).

And I can go on and on.

Another big problem is that it is almost impossible to figure what version
number these application are at and when was the last version released. It
is as if this is intentionally kept hidden.  Look at the mechanical system

It says at the top "NEW VERSION". but no version number or when was this
version released. When you scroll to the bottom of the page, it says
mechanical system 2. Then it says 1994-2005.  Whatever this is supposed to
mean is anyone's guess.

Can any one from the company explain all of this?

I was about to buy the structural mechanics package, but last minute when I
checked the date on it, and that it was still version 1 since 1999, I closed
the window and did not buy it. It is clear that there are many dead
applications that are not being maintained and are still being sold to