Re: How to find expected value?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg66246] Re: How to find expected value?
- From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
- Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 05:02:51 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 5/4/06 at 5:20 AM, chris.chiasson at gmail.com (Chris Chiasson) wrote: >It seems like you are trying to compute the expected value of a >continuous distribution, while ExpectedValue is only defined for >finite discrete distributions. It is not correct to say ExpectedValue is only defined for discrete distributions. For example, you can compute the mean of say a gamma distribution as follows: In:= <<Statistics`; ExpectedValue[x,GammaDistribution[a,b],x] Out= a b -- To reply via email subtract one hundred and four