Re: When is x^y = != E^(y*Log[x])

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66264] Re: When is x^y = != E^(y*Log[x])
  • From: "Nagu" <thogiti at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 01:54:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Ted,

x^y = exp(y log(x)) is the y-th power function where log denotes a
branch of logarithm.

x^y is a multifunction.

The general definition of y-th power function can be defined as
follows:

x^y = (exp(y ln|x| + i y arg(x)))*(exp(i 2 pi y))^k, where k is any
complex number.

If we x^y defined on any open set S, and is continuous on S, then it is
a branch of y-th power function. Clearly, S does not contain the point
zero as an epsilon-neighborhood of zero has many preimages.

The principal branch can be defined as follows:
x^y = exp(y ln|x| + i y arg(x)), for -pi< arg(x) < pi.

Also note that, when y is integer, then every branch of x^y is same as
a polynomial function; when y = 1/n, each branch coincides with the
inverse of x^n.

Hope this helps.

Nagu