Save to Quicktime during calculations?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66283] Save to Quicktime during calculations?
  • From: lawrenceknight at bellsouth.net (Larry Knight)
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 23:50:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello;

I have a Mathematica program which produces a 3-D surface as its output,
which varies with time.  I have  a  loop which produces one rendering of
the surface for each time interval.

I am currently making the output into a QuickTime movie by selecting the
rendered output cells at the end of fhe computation, and converting to
QuickTime.  However, I cannot run the program for as long as I would
like due to running out of memory after a large number of time
iterations.

So, my question is:
Can I somehow direct the rendered output frames DIRECTLY to a QuickTime
file (even if the file is not optimally compressed)?  Or, if that is not
possible, can I direct the output to another type of  file format which
some QuickTime editor can then process without too much pain?

At the moment I have to produce a short QuickTIme movie, then restart
Mathematica to regain my memory, then produce another short movie, then
stitch them together, etc. There has to be a better way!

No doubt one of you has solved this problem already. I would appreciate
any help.

By the way, I am running Mathematica 2.2 on an iMac under the Classic
emulator of OSX.

Thanks in advance,
Larry Knight
Please also reply to:  LarryKnight71  (at) oohay (backwards) .com