Rules

Hey everyone,

I had two simple questions, and was wondering wether anyone could through
something my way:

1) When we have a list, call it AList, and we type the following
AList /. {rule1}
AList /. rule1
what is the difference between the two?  And, how would I go about
defining a rule for the variable AList, and a rule for the contents of the
list - obviously these are two different concepts, yet how would you
differentiate b/w the two?

Thanx to all
MR