Recursion inspection technique : HoldForm but release variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66361] Recursion inspection technique : HoldForm but release variables
  • From: "flatmax" <flatmax at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 02:13:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

If I define a recursion and hold its form to inspect it :
Clear[test]
test[j_Integer?Positive] :=
                              test[j] = k[j] HoldForm[ test[j - 1] ]

then This is what happens :

   In[22]:= test[4]

Out[22]:= test[4 - 1] k[4]

But I would like it to be with the variable evaluated :

Out[22]:= test[3] k[4]

Whats the trick ???

thanks
Matt