Re: Evaluating integrals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66419] Re: Evaluating integrals
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 05:36:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <e3hf47$m09$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 5/5/06 at 5:03 AM, chris.chiasson at gmail.com (Chris Chiasson)
> wrote:
>
> >RE: the below commands Given the ouput of the second command, why
> >does the third work?
>
> ><<Statistics`
> >Information[ExpectedValue]
> >ExpectedValue[Function[c,Exp[-r b c]],NormalDistribution[mu,s]]
>
> My *guess* would be that one of packages other than
> Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` has added additional definitions for
> ExpectedValue without modifying the help message provided by
> Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` for ExpectedValue. I haven't actually
> reviewed the code inside the packages for ExpectedValue to either confirm or
> deny my guess.

When you load the statistics stub via

  << Statistics`

and then do

  ?ExpectedValue

the message for ExpectedValue in Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` is
returned. Now, if you explicitly load

  << Statistics`ContinuousDistributions`

and then do

  ?ExpectedValue

then the message for ExpectedValue in this latter package, is returned.
This latter message covers both the discrete and continuous cases.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul