Re: Re: Automating PolarPlot with Polar Gridlines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66451] Re: [mg66428] Re: Automating PolarPlot with Polar Gridlines
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 02:42:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

For those who have DrawGraphics the following will produce a labeled polar
grid. It uses DrawLineLabels to label the lines produced by the PolarMap. It
is not quite automatic because we have to extract and separate the Lines
from the PolarMap primitives. The first set of Lines are the circular arcs
and the second set are the radial lines. In the following I extended the
angle range to cover the entire curve.

Needs["DrawGraphics`DrawingMaster`"]

Draw2D[
    {Red, DrawPolarR[6 Sin[x + Pi/2]^2 - 2x, {x, -Pi/2, Pi/2}],
      Gray,
      maplines = DrawPolarMap[Identity, {0, 7}, {-2, Pi/2}],
      Black,
      Take[maplines, {3, 15, 2}] //
        DrawLineLabels[Sqrt[#1^2 + #2^2] &, 0.5 &, DrawLLFormat -> Round,
          DrawLLTextOptions -> {Background -> White}],
      Take[maplines, {16, 30}] //
        DrawLineLabels[ArcTan[#1, #2]/Degree &, 1.0 &,
          DrawLLFormat -> (Round[#]Degree &),
          DrawLLTextOptions -> {Background -> White}]},
    AspectRatio -> Automatic,
    PlotRange -> All,
    ImageSize -> 500];

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: ggroup at sarj.ca [mailto:ggroup at sarj.ca]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I meant to paste in an example of a manual polar plot, which has most of
what
I want except for the gridline labels:

Needs["Graphics`"];
DisplayTogether[
  PolarPlot[6 Sin[x + Pi/2]^2 - 2x, {x, -Pi/2, Pi/2}, PlotStyle -> {Red}],
  PolarMap[Identity, {0, 7}, {-Pi/2, Pi/2}, PlotStyle -> {GrayLevel[0.5]}],
  PlotRange -> {{0, 6.25}, {-3.50, 2.00}}, AspectRatio -> Automatic]

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:15:41 -0700, ggroup at sarj.ca wrote