Simplification and Arg[]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg66593] Simplification and Arg[]
  • From: Andrew Moylan <andrew.moylan at>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:30:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Should Mathematica be able to simplify the following expression? (It is
easily seen to be zero under the given condition, x > 0.)

	Arg[1 + I * x] + Arg[1 - I * x],
	{x > 0}

In particular, I would have expected the following to yield ArcTan[b /
a], from which the above expression is easily reduced to zero:

	Arg[a + I b],
	{a > 0, b > 0}

Any ideas?

P.S. Apologies if I have sent this twice; my original message seems not
to have worked.