Re: What does " 1.' " mean ?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg66702] Re: [mg66661] What does " 1.' " mean ?
  • From: "Igor C. Antonio" <igora at>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 03:52:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Arkalen wrote:
> Warning : I am a complete newbie at using Mathematica.
> I have used NSolve to solve systems of non linear equations, and it gives
> me results which look good except they contain several "1.'abc" where abc
> are parameters. (that's "one period apostrophe").
> I assume it's shorthand notation for something but I can't tell what, the
> Mathematica experts I might ask are all gone for a week and I can't find
> it in the book.
> Anyone know what it means ?

You probably mean backtick (`). Section A.2.5.

In the help browser, go to:

The Mathematica Book > Mathematica Reference Guide > Input Syntax > Numbers

The numbers after one backtick indicates the precision of the number. Example:

Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.