Product and Summation sign

While a Mathematica user for some time,  use has been limited to number
crunching and not symbolic manipulations.  I started to remedy this
over the weekend.

I entered Sum[x[i],{i,1,50}] expecting to see a response with Summation
sign.  Instead the output was x[1}+x[2]+x[3]+.....

What do I need to do to get output that includes the Summation sign?
StandardForm was checked.

Thanks.

Larry