Re: ridiculous avi export

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66793] Re: ridiculous avi export
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at dordos.net>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 05:49:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chris Chiasson schrieb:
> Why is it that the avi version is about 75 times the size of the the
> 3.5 MB animated gif file below? Is Mathematica just dumping the pixel
> data without compression? Both were created by using the Export
> function on a set of Graphics objects (not containing any raster
> data).
>
> http://chris.chiasson.name/temp/test.gif
>
> http://chris.chiasson.name/temp/test.avi
>
> Also, both exports take "forever"... what's going on?
>
> Mathematica 5.2 on Winodws XP,
> --
> http://chris.chiasson.name/

Hi Chris,

unfortunately, Mathematica doesn't allow to select a codec for compression (or missed something).
If you are using Windows, VirtualDub [1] helps to commpress this raw AVI-file.
For other systems, mmencode [2] is a good choice (IMHO).

I imported your test.gif into Mathematica and exported the 268MB-Monster-AVI. Using the H264-codec, I got a 402.516-Byte avi [3] with reasonable quality.

hth,
   Peter

[1]: http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/
[2]: http://mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html