Re: Product and Summation sign

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66814] Re: Product and Summation sign
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:31:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

?Sum

gives

"Sum[f, {i, imax}] evaluates the sum of the expressions f as evaluated for
each i from 1 to imax. Sum[f, {i, imin, imax}] starts with i = imin. Sum[f,
{i, imin, imax, di}] uses steps di. Sum[f, {i, imin, imax}, {j, jmin, jmax},
... ] evaluates a sum over multiple indices."

so the result that you obtained from Sum[x[i],{i,1,50}] was the correctly
evaluated result.

However

?HoldForm

gives

"HoldForm[expr] prints as the expression expr, with expr maintained in an
unevaluated form."

so to obtain the result that you wanted to see (i.e. one that is
unevaluated) then you need to to evaluate

Sum[x[i],{i,1,50}]//HoldForm

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK