RE: Product and Summation sign

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg66829] RE: [mg66788] Product and Summation sign
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm replying this to both you and MathGroup because, as in most cases, once
you further spell out your question there are many people there who know
more about it than I do!

I don't have the MathStatica package and don't know much about statistics.
Perhaps SuperLog is a package function that has special formatting. Someone
who works with the package will probably give you a better answer.

It's possible to do a lot with Mathematica in the way of special formatting
and implementing axioms, as rules say, so that abstract systems can be
manipulated symbolically. But I won't go into it here because I'm not sure
that is what you actually want to do.

David Park
djmp at

From: actuary at [mailto:actuary at]
To: mathgroup at

The "HoldForm" suggestion works.

My question came about because I recently purchased "MathStatica" and was
working through the material on Maximum Likehood Estimate.  The examples
contained in the test provided output from inputs that constructed a
likelihood function that contained the product sign, just like one would
it out if doing by paper and pencil.  Through the use of function
the Log of the likelihood function would be presented with a summation sign.

None of the examples used "HoldForm".  My first thought was that a
setting was not set correctly (StandardForm not checked--It was)and that was
the reason my output looked different than that in the text.

Any comments would be appreciated.

To: mathgroup at