  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70992] Re: Two small problems compute OK, but not their sum.
  • From: "Ray Koopman" <koopman at sfu.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 04:08:01 -0500 (EST)

aaronfude at gmail.com wrote:

> But *why* do to the 1/2's make it too complicated?

There's a bug in Integrate.

> Also, in the future, when Mathematica is producing an unusually
> complicated answer for a problem, how do I know whether it is what
> it is or this A+B situation.

I encountered a similar problem a while back and asked this group a
similar question. The short answer is that you never know for sure.
Even when the answer is simple, you should check it somehow -- perhaps
by giving Integrate some alternate forms of the integrand, perhaps by
using NIntegrate on a few random -- i.e., not "special" -- cases.