Re: Two small problems compute OK, but not their sum.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg70992] Re: Two small problems compute OK, but not their sum.
- From: "Ray Koopman" <koopman at sfu.ca>
- Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 04:08:01 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org><email@example.com>
aaronfude at gmail.com wrote: > > But *why* do to the 1/2's make it too complicated? There's a bug in Integrate. > > Also, in the future, when Mathematica is producing an unusually > complicated answer for a problem, how do I know whether it is what > it is or this A+B situation. I encountered a similar problem a while back and asked this group a similar question. The short answer is that you never know for sure. Even when the answer is simple, you should check it somehow -- perhaps by giving Integrate some alternate forms of the integrand, perhaps by using NIntegrate on a few random -- i.e., not "special" -- cases.