Re: Assumptions for Trigonometry Inequalities

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71391] Re: [mg71328] Assumptions for Trigonometry Inequalities
  • From: Adam Strzebonski <adams at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:53:57 -0500 (EST)

The assumptions mechanism used by Simplify generally can only prove
polynomial inequalities. It can prove a very limited number of
transcendental inequalities that follow (through a polynomial
dependence) from a collection of hard-coded inequalities.

Inequalities

In[5]:= Simplify[Sin[gamma]>0,0<gamma<Pi]
Out[5]= True

In[6]:= Simplify[Sin[gamma]<0,Pi<gamma<2Pi]
Out[6]= True

are hard coded in Simplify, inequalities for negative gamma are not.

Reduce uses more general inequality solving methods (but has too high
complexity to be used automatically by the assumption mechanism).

In[9]:= Reduce[-Pi<gamma<0 && Sin[gamma]>=0, gamma]
Out[9]= False

Best Regards,

Adam Strzebonski
Wolfram Research