Re: convergence checking

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70295] Re: [mg70002] convergence checking
  • From: Darren Glosemeyer <darreng at>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 05:36:58 -0400 (EDT)

Inequalities along this line are mentioned in the documentation for
PrecisionGoal and AccuracyGoal.  One way to implement this is via a
While loop of the following form

old=(* insert or compute initial value here *);
new=(* insert or compute next iteration here *);
    new=(* insert or compute next iteration here *)];

To avoid a non-terminating loop in cases where the method does not
converge, you can add a counter variable that gets incremented at each
step in the While loop and checked against an iteration limit in the
While test. Alternately, NestWhile could be used to put a cap on the
number of iterations.

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research