Re: Infinity vs DirectedInfinity[1]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70536] Re: Infinity vs DirectedInfinity[1]
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:21:47 -0400 (EDT)

So, after talking further with Andrzej Kozlowski, I now think that

Infinity is defined to be DirectedInfinity[1] (perhaps via Set, i.e.
Infinity=DirectedInfinity[1] )

and that it is DirectedInfinity[1] that has a MakeBoxes (or
equivalent) rule to display as Infinity in StandardForm and
TraditionalForm (or actually, \[Infinity], if you are in the FrontEnd
looking at an Output cell).

Although, I am not sure Andrzej actually agrees with me :-]