RE: DisplayTogether & PlotLegend incompatibility

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70847] RE: [mg70815] DisplayTogether & PlotLegend incompatibility
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:39:27 -0400 (EDT)

Will,

I want to add to my first reply. You don't actually need DrawGraphics for
this example. Everything is a graphical primitive so just use
Show[Graphics[{...}],opts] instead of Draw2D. DrawGraphics would only be
usful if you wanted to, say, add fitted curves to the plot or do other
customizations.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Will Robertson [mailto:wspr81 at gmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hello,

Having been used to plotting graphs in another system, I find myself out of
my
depth in Mathematica :)

In the attached code, I use the MultipleListPlot & Legend packages to
try and plot a set of curves with some overlayed points using
DisplayTogether. This works well until I try and add a legend (with
PlotLegend) as you can see. The second set of data is scaled way out of
proportion. Is this a misconception on my part?

(I don't really want to do everything in a single MultipleListPlot
because I algorithmically assign colours to the first set of graphs
with something like
  manyHues[steps_] := Table[{Hue[i/steps, 1, 0.8]}, {i, 1, steps, 1}]
Maybe there's a better way to do this...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!

Will Robertson
Adelaide, Australia

<<Graphics`MultipleListPlot`
<<Graphics`Legend`

DisplayTogether[
  MultipleListPlot[
    {{1,0},{2,1},{3,2}},
    {{1,1},{2,2},{3,3}},
    {{1,2},{2,3},{3,4}},
    {PlotJoined\[Rule]True,
      AxesLabel\[Rule]{"Displacement, mm","Force, N"},
      SymbolShape\[Rule] None}],
  MultipleListPlot[
    {{1.5,2.5},{2,2},{2.5,1.5}},
    {PlotJoined\[Rule]False}]]

DisplayTogether[
  MultipleListPlot[
    {PlotJoined\[Rule]True,
      AxesLabel\[Rule]{"Displacement, mm","Force, N"},
      SymbolShape\[Rule] None,
      PlotLegend\[Rule]{"one","two","three"}}],
  MultipleListPlot[
    {PlotJoined\[Rule]False}]]