how to identify plane and measuring planar area

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg69224] how to identify plane and measuring planar area
  • From: "T Harris" <tdh1967 at>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 01:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am taking linear algebra and I have questions about the following code.
Can someone run it and help me here?  These are the two questions --> (1)
How do I measure the planar area of this flat thing?  (2)  What plane does
this ellipsoid plot out on?

What would I do in any case like this in the future to determine the plane?
Thanks for any help you can give.

{xstretch,ystretch,zstretch} = {1.5,0.8,0};
{slow,shigh} = {0,Pi};
{tlow,thigh} = {0,2 Pi};

hungellipsoidplot =
  ParametricPlot3D[  xstretch   Sin[s]  Cos[t]  perpframe[1] +
                     ystretch  Sin[s] Sin[t]  perpframe[2] +
                     zstretch  Cos[s]perpframe[3], {s,slow,shigh},{t,tlow,

setup =Show[hungellipsoidplot,frameplot,Axes3D[ranger],

Show[setup, ViewPoint -> 12 perpframe[1]];