RE: Re: variable "K"? (Really strange behavior . . . )

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69223] RE: [mg69204] Re: variable "K"? (Really strange behavior . . . )
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 01:39:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Yes and I think that Stephen Wolfram definitely made the correct choice in
going for longer names. With command completion they can also usually be
entered very quickly.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Joseph Gwinn [mailto:JoeGwinn at comcast.net]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

I went through a similar drama, and went to the other extreme:  All my
variable names are now long-winded.  For instance, I would use something
like FiberRadius, Vparam, SectionArea, Volume, and ThermalConductivity.
The initial caps do no harm so long as the name is long enough that
collisions are very unlikely to impossible, assuming that the vocabulary
in one's problem domain are unlike those in the innards of Mathematica.

This is basically the approach Wolfram recommends in The Holy Tome, and
he built Mathematica to follow this approach.  So, I went with the flow.

Joe Gwinn