Re: Dot Product in Cylindrical Coordinates

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg69276] Re: Dot Product in Cylindrical Coordinates
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 05:30:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <edadqd$pgc$1 at>,
 Sergio Miguel Terrazas Porras <sterraza at> wrote:

> When I calculate the dot product of vectors {1,Pi/4,0} and {2,0,1} in
> Cylindrical Coordinates Mathematica 5.1 returns the result Sqrt[2], when the
> result should be 2.

Notwithstanding several of the other responses, the result _is_ Sqrt[2].
When you write {1,Pi/4,0}, surely you mean

  {rho, phi, z} == {1, Pi/4, 0}

and _not_ that

  {x, y, z} == {1, Pi/4, 0} ?

After loading

and selecting Cylindrical coordinates,

then in cartesian coordinates, this point is

  p1 = CoordinatesToCartesian[{1, Pi/4, 0}]

  {1/Sqrt[2], 1/Sqrt[2], 0}

  p2 = CoordinatesToCartesian[{2, 0, 1}]

  {2, 0, 1}

Hence the dot product of the coordinate vectors (relative to the origin
{0,0,0}), computed in cartesian coordinates, is

  p1 . p2

This is the same result that you got, presumably using,

  DotProduct[ {1, Pi/4, 0}, {2, 0, 1} ]

Of course, if you really mean

  {x, y, z} == {1, Pi/4, 0}

then there is no need to load Calculus`VectorAnalysis`: the dot product
is just

  {1, Pi/4, 0} . {2, 0, 1}

Note that Dot is _not_ modified when this package is loaded so
Jean-Marc's response,

  {1, Pi/4, 0} . {2, 0, 1}

is bogus -- the first two lines have no effect on the third.

Modifying Andrzej's code, we have

 Simplify[(JacobianMatrix[] . p1) . (JacobianMatrix[] . p2)]

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)