Q: How to animate a list plot?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69500] Q: How to animate a list plot?
  • From: "Coleman, Mark" <Mark.Coleman at LibertyMutual.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:09:31 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out how to develop -- for lack of a better term --
an animated scatter plot. I have three variables, call them x, y, and z.
The points x and y are recorded measurements on the same subjects, taken
at different points in time. The variable z does not change over time.

I'd like to find a way to visualize how the ListPlot[{x,z}] transitions
into the ListPlot[{y,z}]. My sample of data is 250 points, so I am
trying to visualize 250 points moving from one set of positions on the
Cartesian plane to another set of positions. The y observations are more
highly correlated with z, so one could image the points becoming more
tightly clustered as one moves from x->y. Any thoughts on how I might
show this?

Thanks,

-Mark