Re: question on changing 'type' of numbers

Hi,

a) Mathematica has no types, it has patterns
b) what may Round[], Floor[] and the Ceiling[]
function
   do ? Convert a _Real into an _Integer ? in a
way
   that give you the full access how the
fractional term
   handled

Regards
  Jens

"Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:ee8h72$j38$1 at smc.vnet.net...
|I think of a the Head of expression as its
'type'.

| One is supposed to be able to use Apply[f,expr]
to change head of expression
| to f.
|
| But Why can't I use this to change the head of a
Real number to Integer?

| In[122]:=
| Remove["Global`*"]
| x = 0.1
| Head[x]
|           -------------->Real
| Apply[Integer,x]
| Head[x]
|        ------------------->Real. I was expecting
Intger
| x = Integer[x]
| Head[x]
|      ----------------> Now it says Integer
|
| any idea?
|
| ofcourse the question as to what should happen
to the value of the variable
| if for example I change the head of 0.5 from
Real to Integer is another
| matter. It seems in this case x remained 0.1 but
only the head said Integer