Re: Re: Re: Re: solve and Abs

On 15 Sep 2006, at 01:21, János wrote:

>> And it seems to me that "something" is a
>> little better than "nothing in particular".
>>
>> Andrzej Kozlowski
>>

> According to Hegel something is  a negated nothing or... a
> "particular nothing" - particular in that sense that it is negated :)
>
> Cosmologists love it.  They call it "false vacuum".
>
> /Just kidding/
>
> János

Now it seems to me that I should have written 'And it seems to me
that "something", even 0, is a little better than "nothing in
particular".' Leaving Hegel aside, (or wherever he is now, which is
either Nowhere or in not a very comfortable place to be) there
appears to be something Zen Buddhist about the answer {{}} that Solve
returns when given a tautological equation, like:

In[1]:=
Solve[x==x,{x}]

Out[1]=
{{}}

The answer looks like "nothing", but in some sense it also means
"everything". In other words, Nothingness ==The Universe == The
Absolute, etc, etc... (I guess that means that the union of {{}} and
{{x->0}} ought to be indeed {{}}, except that in this particular
problem {{}} was a False Absolute or False Nothingness, oh well...)

Andrzej