attention 64 bit Mathematica users - would you please test a command for me?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69600] attention 64 bit Mathematica users - would you please test a command for me?
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:57:22 -0400 (EDT)

If you have a version of Mathematica with 64 bit in the version
string, such as mine,
"5.2 for Linux x86 (64 bit (June 20, 2005)"

please locate any XML file on your system and try to import it using
the Mathematica Import command (here's my try):

In[1]:= a=Import["/var/www/test.chris/website-build.xml"]

/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.2/SystemFiles/Converters/Binaries/Linux-x86-64/XML.exe:
error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open

LinkOpen::linke:
   MathLink error: the launch failed because the program could not be found

In[2]:=

Will you please post the output?

If you don't get my error, could you please see if you have the 32-bit
version of that library, libstdc++.so.5?

By the way, it *may be important* to run the front end/console on a 64
bit machine, instead of running, say, the front end on 32 bit windows
and the kernel on the 64 bit machine.

Thank you (and sorry if this turns out to be nothing),

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/