Re: Variables Within Homemade Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69604] Re: [mg69590] Variables Within Homemade Functions
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:57:31 -0400 (EDT)

	Thanks David Park (who framed his response as a Jeopardy question),
Bob Hanlon, David Annetts, and Jean-Marc Gulliet for pointing me to
the Module and Block functions.  I had browsed Functions and Programs
in the Help Browser's Mathematica book, and missed the sentence
referring to modules under Functions as Procedures.  Of course, below
that was a number of examples.  The Block function wasn't mentioned
though, but I'll look it up.

	"When you write procedures in Mathematica, it is usually a good idea
to make variables you use inside the procedures local, so that they
do not interfere with things outside the procedures. You can do this
by setting up your procedures as modules, in which you give a list of
variables to be treated as local."

	Next time I'll dig through the documentation more carefully!

		Gregory