Has anybody had any success creating new HSQLDB databases within Mathematica using DatabaseLink?

I'm trying this today for the first time and hitting a wall. I can connect
to the demo databases provided with Mathematica 5.2, and queries seem to
work, but when I try to create a new database using the DatabaseExplorer[]
front end, I get a JDBC "User not found" error. Any advice or pointers would
be appreciated.

-Stern