Symbolize Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69678] Symbolize Problem
  • From: "Peter" <pjcrosbie at attglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:44:50 -0400 (EDT)

I am attempting to write more readable code by defining some custom
symbols.  I can get simple constructions to sumbolize but I fail on
anything too complicated.  For example,

Symbolize[â?½_]

Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",
      TagBox["\[EmptyDownTriangle]_",
        NotationBoxTag,
        TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}]], "Input"]

Works fine and symbolizes things like â?½f without problems.

However, if I add a superscript to the â?½ as in

 Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",
      TagBox[
        RowBox[{
          SuperscriptBox["\[EmptyDownTriangle]", "2"], "_"}],
        NotationBoxTag,
        TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}]], "Input"]

then the symbol following the â?½^2 is always interpreted as a
multiplication.

Any ideas would be really helpful.