Re: Binaries

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg69763] Re: Binaries
  • From: dh <dh at>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:04:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi David,
your question is not too clear. To you want to read from a file or do
you want to convert from an n bits integer? What do you exactly mean by
long: 32, 64, 128 bits?
Further, I assume you are talking about integers. Now do the three bytes
repesent 1 or 3 numbers?

1) Assuming the three bytes code for one number and the long has 32 bits
and you want to read from a file. In this case, you can simply read the
whole 32 integer by:
see manual
2) If the three bytes are 3 different numbers, and you want to read from
a file written with 32 bits integres, you need to read every single byte
and throw away the superfluos byte:

3) In case you want to convert Integers, you may use Bit Operators like
BitAnd,BitOr,.. ,see manual or: Developer`BitShiftLeft/Right